Meaning of Selection :
Selection can be defined as a process in an organisation which helps to select most suitable candidate to fill up the vacant job positions in an organisation. Selection process is considered as negative process because number of selected candidates are less then number of rejected candidates. It is the end function of an organisation and select the no of candidates.Selection process perform various steps are :
| Preliminary screening
Contract of employment
1). Preliminary Screening –
Preliminary screening is the first step in the selection process and it is a first round which is conducted by internal manager of an organisation. No professional experts or specialised people are invited to take an interview. In preliminary screening they just ask general questions related to job or person status and this round is conducted to check the confidence level of candidate and find out that candidate can answer the questions when asked.
2). Selection Test –
An organisation conduct written examination to check practical knowledge of candidate and test are depends on organisation. The commom tests conducted by the organisations are :
- Intelligence test – Intelligence test is conducted by an organisation to check efficiency level of the employees in performing particular job and also testing ability of employees.
- Aptitude test – This test is conducted to find out the potential of learning new job in the candidate. It also find out, how quickly the candidate can learn new skills and new methods and it testing that how candidate performance in future.
- Personality test – Personality test is conducted to find out behaviour of the candidate. This test relates to intelligence, aptitude, attitude and interest of the candidate.
- Trade test – This test is conducted to check the basic knowledge and skills of candidate related to vacant job position. If candidate has no basic ideas then he is not allow to go further in selection process.
- Interest test – This test is conducted to find out candidate interest and they select candidate on the basis of interest in job.
3). Employment Interview –
The candidate who qualify the written test are selected for an interviews. In interview round some experts are they to take an interview and some question related to jobs.
4). Checking the references and background –
In application form they asked candidate to fill two references. If candidate qualify interview then they check background and references of the candidate.
5). Selection decision –
The candidates who pass test, interview and references checks are included in selection list and manager select some suitable candidates from list .
6). Medical examination –
Before giving appointment letter to candidate, they send candidate for medical checkup.
7). Job offers –
Those candidates who clear medical test are giving appointment letter and letter contains date of joining, terms and conditions of job , etc.
8). Contract of employees –
When candidate accepts the job offers it refers to signing the contract of employment . While signing on contract they submit their document along with appointment letter.
After selection process , candidates joining their job as per terms and conditions.
So we studied the concept of selection and got to know how the selection process works. What are the different stages involved in selection process in an organisation. If you have any query please let us know in the comments section.